Wednesday 20 July 2011

Hello Stockholm! - three

Day three, Birka. This morning I got up early to take a boat trip to Birka, which is a viking island, only 1 hours and 45 minutes away from Stockholm. I already thought it would be nice to see an historical monument (yes, it's part of the Unesco heritage list), but I hadn't thought it would be that interesting and beautiful.
There were a few of those piers with an excellent view. I've spent a time writing on the first pier, overlooking a hill with a monument on top.
This view was common on the island of Birka. The little hills you can see are graves of people who lived on the island. There are lots and lots of them, around 2000 if I remember that correctly.
I joined an English guide who explained everything about the island. He wanted us to remember one thing: Vikings were Scandinavian, but not ever Scandinavian was a viking. Only approximately 5 percent of all the Scandinavians were vikings. You could see it as a kind of 'job'.
This was our guide. My compliments for his English and his way of talking. He was a real good talker. His way of guiding was extremely interesting and easy to listen to. He didn't give you a chance to get bored or distracted. He did a great job in showing us some perfect spots, he explained all about the history of the island, and above all, he had a great sense of humor!
This was the view on one of the highest points of the island. Isn't it beautiful?
Tonight I'm planning to view the sunset in the inner city of the capital of Sweden. I'm curious how Gamla Stan looks when the sun is setting. I hope there is some live music as well. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. heey laudy beetje lekker weer daar? :)

    ben je daar in je eentje of met familie ofzo?

    gr twan

    ReplyDelete